Add an Alpine DSP to an e46 and have the OEM DSP menu.

All Your Questions, Upgrades And Suggestions On The Audio Systems

Moderator: ccfj1

Re: Add an Alpine DSP to an e46 and have the OEM DSP menu.

Postby ccfj1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:52 pm

bradnic wrote:
Lucky Bob wrote:ccfj1 ( john) is really Doctor Who, he just moonlights here now and then between programmes to unwind. :D ;-)

it certainly appears that way :-) the man's a miracle worker for E46 infotainment stuff. here in the states the phone snap-ins are not as popular. not sure why. the OEM integration of john's mods is absolutely wonderful.

so thanks to John Intravee+Alpine DSP is on the shopping list for the E46 M3. I'm doing an OEM ULF retrofit on a non-nav '06 R53 mini JCW as well. both the M3 and JCW are getting 'modded for media' iphone snap-ins once i understand what needs to be done. seems like intravee is not useful in a 'non-nav' car though.

</hijack>

The IV is a pretty handy unit to be honest, even for non nav cars.

ULF for e46 and mini are very similar mate, if you need a hand with them just say, I've done a few e46 BT retrofit looms now and they just work...

The iphone snapin mod is a pretty cool mod TBH, and I've done maybe 3 of them so far, most people dont like the thought of chopping up a £65 snapin, lol.
53, M3, Silver Grey. Reto-fits: Modded Mk4 DVD, OEM Bluetooth, VR Control, Rainbow/Alpine Speakers, Sony SOT Amp, HK Sub, CCFL, Intravee II, NightMode, Audio Alerts, Rear Blind.
ccfj1

Postby bradnic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:30 pm

ccfj1 wrote:
bradnic wrote:I have heard about installing the OEM E39 DSP amp with some line level converters

The problem with that is that the e39/x5 dsp unit is configured for a larger cabin so the sounds will be all over the place.

definitely a no-go then. if I'm going to do a DSP retrofit it has to sound proper.

ccfj1 wrote:I'd dump the hk amp and fit a different amp mate, have a word with Ian (obioban), he's in the states and has just done this very upgrade.

perfect! seen his posts as well. only thing is I need to make sure the DSP button on the console switch panel still has some function.

ccfj1 wrote:
bradnic wrote:on the snap-in front, goal is to mod as you have done for intravee II. I want charging+ULF support as well as music streaming with MP3 ID display.

I have a spare one all built up and ready do go if you want it, its as above, charging is done through the doc port though, not via the 18pin OEM plug (not enough room for both!!!

absolutely want it. please send me a PM or let me know how to get in touch. eager to 'tap your brain' regardless :-)

ccfj1 wrote:BT streaming cant be done from the cradle, but it can be done (I can do it), I use the AUX in from the bm54 (bm53 to you), that way you can stream from the cradle when its being charged.

I was sorting through this as well, looking at bluetooth dongles. A2DP is definitely mandatory for both my cars (nav e46 m3 and non-nav 06 jcw with oem ULF retrofit). iphone 4 video also desirable on the M3 since i have the tv module.

of course I have iphone 5s as well but haven't started down that path yet because the snap-ins can't physically hold them. I did buy an apple lightning digital av adapter and an hdmi-composite converter so I can start messing with them.. happy to be a guinea pig on this.
bradnic

Postby ccfj1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:35 pm

bradnic wrote:
ccfj1 wrote:
bradnic wrote:I have heard about installing the OEM E39 DSP amp with some line level converters

The problem with that is that the e39/x5 dsp unit is configured for a larger cabin so the sounds will be all over the place.

definitely a no-go then. if I'm going to do a DSP retrofit it has to sound proper.

ccfj1 wrote:I'd dump the hk amp and fit a different amp mate, have a word with Ian (obioban), he's in the states and has just done this very upgrade.

perfect! seen his posts as well. only thing is I need to make sure the DSP button on the console switch panel still has some function.

I use mine to turn on the Sub.!!

ccfj1 wrote:
bradnic wrote:on the snap-in front, goal is to mod as you have done for intravee II. I want charging+ULF support as well as music streaming with MP3 ID display.

I have a spare one all built up and ready do go if you want it, its as above, charging is done through the doc port though, not via the 18pin OEM plug (not enough room for both!!!

absolutely want it. please send me a PM or let me know how to get in touch. eager to 'tap your brain' regardless :-)

Pm me mate, or I'll pm you.

ccfj1 wrote:BT streaming cant be done from the cradle, but it can be done (I can do it), I use the AUX in from the bm54 (bm53 to you), that way you can stream from the cradle when its being charged.

I was sorting through this as well, looking at bluetooth dongles. A2DP is definitely mandatory for both my cars (nav e46 m3 and non-nav 06 jcw with oem ULF retrofit). iphone 4 video also desirable on the M3 since i have the tv module.

Not as easy as it sounds at first glance mate, I'm still working on it, I'll let you know how I get on.

of course I have iphone 5s as well but haven't started down that path yet because the snap-ins can't physically hold them. I did buy an apple lightning digital av adapter and an hdmi-composite converter so I can start messing with them.. happy to be a guinea pig on this.

the iphone 5 may be a problem, not seen one and not seen a iphone snapin!!
53, M3, Silver Grey. Reto-fits: Modded Mk4 DVD, OEM Bluetooth, VR Control, Rainbow/Alpine Speakers, Sony SOT Amp, HK Sub, CCFL, Intravee II, NightMode, Audio Alerts, Rear Blind.
ccfj1

Postby bradnic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:58 pm

ccfj1 wrote:
bradnic wrote:only thing is I need to make sure the DSP button on the console switch panel still has some function.

I use mine to turn on the Sub.!!

excellent.

ccfj1 wrote:
bradnic wrote:please send me a PM or let me know how to get in touch. eager to 'tap your brain' regardless :-)

Pm me mate, or I'll pm you.

got your PM

reading this bit again, it sounds perfectly fine. definitely don't want to stream without charging.

ccfj1 wrote:Not as easy as it sounds at first glance mate, I'm still working on it, I'll let you know how I get on.

well you definitely have a fan over here, so I am absolutely interested in whatever you come up with. the problem with A2DP I've seen in several cars is no tag/meta data display. MyFord Touch over here has really horrendous A2DP support on their UI. That system was so bad we sold the vehicle at a loss to get away from it :-)

ccfj1 wrote:
bradnic wrote:of course I have iphone 5s as well but haven't started down that path yet because the snap-ins can't physically hold them. I did buy an apple lightning digital av adapter and an hdmi-composite converter so I can start messing with them.. happy to be a guinea pig on this.

the iphone 5 may be a problem, not seen one and not seen a iphone snapin!!

the newer media snap-in is out http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13625519&postcount=1 but it's supposedly not compatible with E46 era eject boxes. it also costs a 'bloody fortune' and is apparently completely useless over just using a cable.

there's an AMAZING blog post on the apple digital media adapter with lots of technical details http://www.panic.com/blog/2013/03/the-lightning-digital-av-adapter-surprise/. it has an ARM chip in it!!
bradnic

Postby bradnic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 pm

john have you been able to mirror a jailbroken iphone with tv out on the nav screen? I've done this with a jensen aftermarket radio on an E30 vert. works wonderfully..
bradnic

Postby ccfj1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:29 pm

My plan is not to jailbreak mate, so not tried it (yet, lol).

You have mail BTW
ccfj1

Postby bradnic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:30 pm

obioban's thread here. also using alpine DSP+Intravee
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=976779
bradnic

Postby Lucky Bob » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:00 pm

The flux capacitor won't handle the reverse thrust Captain and the thermal reactor will let one go :yuck: :wtf1: I've been waiting three years for just such an occassion to use the Swivelling WTF / ? sign
Lucky Bob

Postby ccfj1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:07 pm

Glad to oblige mate lol.
ccfj1

Postby Lucky Bob » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:14 pm

ccfj1 wrote:Glad to oblige mate lol.

:thumbsup:
Lucky Bob

Postby bradnic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:26 pm

you brits :-) need to get back there for another visit.
bradnic

Postby piscean57 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Lucky Bob wrote:The flux capacitor won't handle the reverse thrust Captain and the thermal reactor will let one go :yuck: :wtf1: I've been waiting three years for just such an occassion to use the Swivelling WTF / ? sign

Don't overlook the dilithium crystals Bob which are, as you know, essential for warp drive ;-)
M3? - you know it makes sense
piscean57

Postby MadTaffy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:01 am

Lucky Bob wrote:The flux capacitor won't handle the reverse thrust Captain and the thermal reactor will let one go :yuck: :wtf1: I've been waiting three years for just such an occassion to use the Swivelling WTF / ? sign

That made me giggle, as always Bob you have perfect timing.... even if it does take 3 years :taunt:

@ccfj1
Dude your famous... even over the pond :cool:
"M Abteilung Über Alles", Translates "M Division above all."
MadTaffy
Site Owner

Previous

Return to Audio System