Self levelling headlights

Post Your M5 Problems & Solutions in Here

Self levelling headlights

Postby b7oony » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:04 am

Righty, I've got a problem with the headlights. Coming home late last night as I was passing a few cars on a country lane folk were flashing me as if I was blinding them :dntknw: Pulled over and had a quick check but all looked ok, it wasn't until I got into the streets and I noticed I was almost lighting up the roof tiles on houses! Got into the car tonight and it was the same thing so I adjusted the beam a bit lower and it seemed ok when I went to the shops but on the way back the beam was now to low and was lucky if I could see 10feet in front of me.
Anyone know of any problems with these and what I can check? Any help would be much appreciated as this is driving me nuts :banghead:

When turning the lights on for the first time it does it's auto adjust up/down thingy so the motor is ok.
b7oony

Re: Self levelling headlights

Postby MadTaffy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:06 am

I moved your topic to faults and fixes (E39 M5) section but you'll still see the original one (ghost link) in general, no probs just helps other people when looking for related topics ;-)

Anyway onto your problem it sounds like either the control arm (£30) or the sensor (£50) the other possibility is the LWR Module (headlight aim control) which is located behind the glove box, quick search and its apparently (quote:) "a small rectangular module bout the size of a pack of cigarettes either white or black in color. it will say "LWR" somewhere on the module's label"

That's the only thing I can think of as you say it's not the motor so only things left are the sensors or control arm,

Hope that helps and good luck sorting it out buddy, if I find out anymore I'll let you know

Let us know how you get on

EDIT found this for you, it explains the control arm issue

"The plastic arm for the front self-leveling sensor is likely broken. It's visible with a flashlight by turning your wheels all the way to the right and looking above the right control arm. It's possible to epoxy it back in place (I actually wrapped a zip tie around the whole arm, then used epoxy liberally around the whole thing). The part is what bolt #4 touches to in this picture. If your late-model self-leveling headlamps are made by ALS/Bosch, the inner pivot next to the levelling solenoid mechanism in the headlamp is prone to breakage. With care and patience you may be able to wire up the broken part as a workaround" This topic may help you understand,
"M Abteilung Über Alles", Translates "M Division above all."
MadTaffy
Site Owner

Postby MattS » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:05 pm

I had to replace mine on the E46 M3, it's a straight-forward job.
MattS

Postby b7oony » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks for that, very helpfull. I'll have a look next week when I'm off.
b7oony

Postby MadTaffy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:16 am

b7oony wrote:Thanks for that, very helpfull. I'll have a look next week when I'm off.

No probs, it appears to be quite common looking into it further so my money is on the control arm
"M Abteilung Über Alles", Translates "M Division above all."
MadTaffy
Site Owner

Postby chris mc » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 am

The best way to level them in the interim is to park up on level ground about 20ft say from a wall/garage door etc and adjust the bean till its just on th bonnet badge
chris mc

Return to Faults & Fixes