Motorsport versions

Everything E24 Related

Motorsport versions

Postby piscean57 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:56 pm

I have been looking at some sale ad's for these cars to idle away the time and got a bit confused, so wondered if anyone could clarify. Officially what people call the M6 was actually an M635 or, I thought, "Motorsport" version of the 6 with the engine from the M1 and bigger wheels. I assumed therefore that all non-M versions were 635 CSI's either standard or Hi-Line (more leather trim). In those days BMW weren't splashing the M badge around willy nilly.

One of the adverts I have seen lately describes the car as Motorsport 635 which I thought meant it was a M635 and I got all excited as it was up for less than 1/2 the cost of what it should be. On closer reading of the ad, it never actually said it was an M635 but, in the description, mentioned that it had the suspension from an M635 - so clearly it wasn't an M635. My question then is, was there an official 635 Motorsport or was this fella being creative in his description?
M3? - you know it makes sense
piscean57

Re: Motorsport versions

Postby Backitoff » Sun May 13, 2012 9:34 pm

I should know this especially as I'm trying to buy one Lol!
In all honesty I would like to know too!
Watch out Watch out there's a baldy in a Boxster about !!!!!
Backitoff

Postby Backitoff » Sun May 13, 2012 9:35 pm

I just came across this which should help clarify
http://www.classicsmonthly.com/cm-forum ... .php?p=489
Watch out Watch out there's a baldy in a Boxster about !!!!!
Backitoff

Postby MadTaffy » Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Being creative in his description, far as i know there is only one proper M 6er and that's the M635i, its a bit like the modern equivalent where they do a M sport but its not a proper M, there is the M635i and the CSi as it says in that topic, but they are very different cars, although both great,
"M Abteilung Über Alles", Translates "M Division above all."
MadTaffy
Site Owner

Postby piscean57 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:38 pm

It does seem that there was an official Motorsport version of the 635csi with M logo headrests and steering wheel and the M635 suspension (whatever that was in contrast to the Csi version). Could well have been one of BMW's first forays into devaluing the M badge.
M3? - you know it makes sense
piscean57

Return to E24